If you are a frequent Macy’s shopper, or if you just want a discount on a large purchase you’re making at Macy’s, you may be interested in the Macy’s credit card. In addition to letting you buy on credit, the Macy’s credit card also offers special discounts (including a discount on your first card purchase) and reward opportunities. Is the Macy’s card right for you? Let’s see…
Macy’s Credit Card vs. Macy’s American Express
Macy’s offers two credit cards (issued in partnership with Citi). There is the Macy’s-only store credit card (accepted only at Macy’s) and the Macy’s American Express Card, which can be used at Macy’s and anywhere else that takes American Express.
When you apply, you’ll be considered for both of these cards. If you’re approved for both cards, you’ll then choose which card you actually want. Note that the Macy’s American Express Card will have a higher standard for approval, so some people may only get the choice of the Macy’s-only credit card. And you could even be declined for both cards if Macy’s & Citi decide your credit history is not good enough.
As a Macy’s cardholder, you’ll earn rewards on your card purchases. How much you’ll earn depends on your status in the Macy’s Star Rewards program:
- Silver (spend of $1-$499 in the prior year or current year): Earn 2 points per dollar on Macy’s purchases.
- Gold (spend of $500-$1199 in the prior or current year): Earn 3 points per dollar on Macy’s purchases.
- Platinum (spend of $1200 or more in the prior or current year): Earn 5 points per dollar on Macy’s purchases.
If you have the Macy’s American Express Card, you’ll also earn reward points on purchases outside of Macy’s — 3 points per dollar on dining purchases, 2 points per dollar at gas stations and at supermarkets, and 1 point per dollar anywhere else.
Every time you’ve earned 1000 points, you’ll automatically be issued $10 in “Star Money” to use toward a future Macy’s purchase. IMPORTANT TO NOTE: When you are issued a $10 Star Money reward, it is good for only 30 days, so you must redeem it quickly.
Instant Approval & 20% Off
If you apply for the Macy’s credit card today, you may be instantly approved and be able to use the card immediately. In addition, you’ll get 20% off Macy’s purchases made with the card both today and tomorrow, with a maximum of $100 off on $500 or more in purchases made during those two days.
Other Macy’s Credit Card Perks
The Macy’s star Rewards program also offers other cardholder-only discounts and perks:
- Star Passes – Discount Macy’s coupons that can be used any day you choose. These are issued on a regular basis but there is no calendar telling you when you can expect the next one to arrive.
- Star Money Bonus Days – On these days, you’ll earn additional rewards points on Macy’s purchases in addition to the amounts outlined above.
- Free Shipping – Cardholders at the Gold and Platinum status level get free shipping on Macy’s purchases, with no minimum spend required. Cardholders at the Silver level get free shipping only when orders are $25 or more.
- Birthday Surprise – You’ll receive some sort of extra discount that can be redeemed during your birthday month. Note that you will only get this if you have actually used your Macy’s credit card within the last 12 months.
Like many loyalty credit cards offered directly from retailers, the Macy’s credit card has a ridiculously high interest rate — 30.99% APR last time we looked!
Macy’s is motivated to approve as many cardholders as possible. If you are new to credit or even if you have a few bad marks on your credit report, your chances of being approved for the Macy’s-only store credit card are high. Approval for the Macy’s American Express Card will require a better credit history, probably at least a 650 credit score.
If you shop at Macy’s often or you are about to make a large purchases at Macy’s, the card can make sense for its rewards, discounts, and new-cardholder 20% offer. At the same time, the fact that the $10 Star Money rewards expire so quickly makes it less attractive to earn points in the first place. And with that terrible interest rate, you definitely don’t want this card if you ever carry a balance.
For most people, unless you are getting the card for the initial 20%-off discount, you’d actually be better off getting a different rewards credit card to use at Macy’s. Most credit cards that allow you to earn points or cash back will not have the ridiculously-short window for redeeming rewards like the Macy’s card does.
How To Apply
You can apply for the Macy’s credit card in a Macy’s store or online. The online application can be found here.
Author: Adam Jusko