Wells Fargo Propel American Express Review
By Adam Jusko, ProudMoney.com, email@example.com
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express credit card is one of our favorite rewards credit cards on the market. It is especially strong for a card that has no annual fee, with generous earning opportunities on many of the most common purchasing categories.
What You Get
The Wells Fargo Propel American Express offers a points rewards system, with each point being worth a penny for most of your redemption options, which include cash back, gift cards, travel, rewards, merchandise, etc. That said, we are going to treat this card mainly as a cash back card in reviewing it, because the points-per-dollar line up easily with their corresponding cash-back percentages — for example, 3 points per dollar is the same as 3% cash back.
Here are the reward specifics:
- 3 points per dollar, or 3% cash back, on dining purchases, whether eating in a restaurant or ordering out
- 3 points, or 3%, on travel and transit, which covers a ton, including airfare, hotels, Airbnb, gas station purchases, Uber/Lyft, public transportation, taxis, tolls and parking, etc.
- 3 points, or 3% on streaming services, specifically Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, and Sirius XM. This does leave out a number of popular services, including Amazon, Sling, YouTube TV, and others, so be sure to understand this if that 3% reward on streaming services is attractive to you.
- 1 point per dollar, or 1%, on everything else
- Bonus opportunity: You’ll earn an extra $200 (20,000 points) if you use the card for at least $1000 in purchases in the first 3 months of having the card. This is a strong bonus when compared to other new cardholder bonuses on no-annual-fee credit cards.
- No foreign currency conversion fee (most credit card issuers refer to these as foreign transaction fees), meaning no extra fee on purchases made with the card outside of the United States. (Many other cards charge a 3% fee on purchases outside of the U.S.)
- 0% interest rate on new card purchases for 12 months as well as 0% on balance transfers for 12 months. (You will pay a one-time 3% fee if you transfer a balance, though).
- Your interest rate on this card as a new cardholder could start anywhere from a 13.99% rate to a 25.99% rate as of this writing. The rate you are offered will depend on Wells Fargo’s assessment of your credit history. (We always advocate paying your credit card balances in full so that you don’t have to pay interest and thus don’t have to worry about your card’s interest rate.)
The Well Fargo Propel American Express credit card is a very good all-purpose credit card, with that nice 3% reward on a number of popular spending categories, including dining, travel, gas/public transportation, and streaming services. In addition, you have a nice bonus opportunity if you can hit the spending requirement in the first few months.
Anytime we see a credit card like this that offers enhanced rewards in specific spending categories, we suggest that you pair it up with a flat cash back card that you can use on those purchases that would otherwise only give you a 1% rebate. The Citi Double Cash Card and the PayPal Cashback Mastercard are our two favorite options, each offering a flat 2% rebate on all purchases.