Huntington Voice Rewards Credit Card Review
Huntington Bank, a large regional bank in multiple midwestern states, offers the Voice rewards credit card to customers in the areas where it does business. (If you’re not a current Huntington customer, you can only apply inside a branch location.) The card gives you the chance to get a 3% rebate on a spending category of your choice. You’ll also get 1% on anything else you buy with the card. Is the Huntington Voice credit card right for you? Let’s review…
And the 3% Categories Are…
The Huntington Voice credit card allows you to earn 3 points per dollar (which equates to 3% in cash or toward other rewards) in the spending category of your choice, including:
- Gas Stations
- Travel & Entertainment
- Discount & Warehouse Stores
- Grocery Stores
- Utilities & Office Supply Stores
- Electronics, Computer, and Camera Stores
- Department, Apparel & Sporting Goods Stores
- Auto Parts & Service Stores
- Home Improvement Stores
And, again, you get 1 point per dollar, or the equivalent of a 1% rebate, on any purchases you make outside your chosen spending category.
There’s A Limit, But It’s High
You can earn the 3% rebate on up to $2000 worth of spending in your chosen category within the calendar quarter. Most people will not spend more than that over a three-month period, so we feel this is a reasonable limit.
Change Your Category to Fit Your Spending
You can change your 3% rewards category each calendar quarter, which allows you to adjust based on where you think you might be spending in the near future. For example, if you know you’ll be traveling a lot, you can choose travel for that quarter. If you’re about to buy a new computer or other pricey electronics, you could change your category to take advantage of that 3% category.
Remember that you only get to change your 3% category each calendar quarter, not anytime you feel like it. So, you’ll need to put a little thought into your upcoming purchases and choose accordingly.
- There is no annual fee for the Huntington Voice Rewards credit card.
- Huntington actually offers two different credit cards under the “Voice” brand. One is the rewards card described here, the other is a non-rewards card that offers a lower interest rate. You’ll need to choose which Voice card you want when you apply.
- You may be approved for the Huntington Voice Rewards credit card at an interest rate somewhere between 13.49% and 27.49%. That’s a huge range! While the 13% end of the range is good, the 27% end of the range is terrible. It’s never a good idea to carry a balance on your credit cards, but you especially wouldn’t want to if you’re approved at a rate over 20%. Be careful!
For consumers who are eligible to apply for this card, we think it’s a good deal. We would use it for the 3% rebates and then pair it up with another card that gives better rewards on purchases outside your 3% category. So, use this card in your chosen category, but maybe pick one of our Top Ten credit cards to use when making purchases outside of that category.
Overall, we give the Huntington Voice Rewards card a 4-Star rating (out of 5 possible Stars). We wouldn’t use it for ALL of our purchases, but it offers a nice rebate if you’re willing to put in the time and energy to choose the right categories based on your spending.